Refine your approach to coaching based on the common themes found amongst the best leaders in sports!
- Learn how to direct your players' skill development to focus improvement on qualities that matter in games
- Develop relationships with your players to improve communication and leadership on your team
- Learn the 4 overarching categories of success that will help you build a winning program
with Chantal Vallée,
Hamilton Honey Badgers (Canadian Elite Basketball League) Head Coach & GM;
University of Windsor Head Women's Basketball Coach;
Five straight Canadian Interuniversity Sports (CIS) Women's Basketball National Titles (2011-2015);
2x CIS Women's Basketball Coach of the Year;
ATHENA International Leadership Award, 2012
Before rising to prominence with multiple national championships, Chantal Vallée began her career by studying the top coaches from around the world. What were the common practices that made these individuals stand out from the rest of the coaching ranks? Coach Vallée interviewed these experts and analyzed the data from this extensive research to determine the strategies that most directly correlate to success in coaching.
Using the whiteboard to anchor key thoughts and an interactive style, Coach Vallée goes beyond the physiological, technical, and tactical aspects of the game to demonstrate how the "art" of coaching plays a critical role in the success of the winningest coaches. She breaks down her findings in this video to include: leaders lead, less is more, technical and tactical, and the model of coaches' perspective on building a successful program. She has applied these concepts into her own coaching philosophy to become one of the top basketball coaches in Canada.
Coach Vallée begins by fleshing out traditional conceptions of leadership with one in which true leaders are those that can lead other leaders and not feel threatened by releasing control or having to follow. She challenges conventional thinking about various aspects of season plans by sharing anecdotes from her journey building the greatest program her league has ever seen.
- Learn how the maxim "less is more" can be implemented to prevent overtraining your athletes so that they can be performing at their peak when it counts
- Learn technical and tactical philosophies that are results-oriented and promote better teamwork and communication between coaching staff and players
- Get insight into a "transformational" rather than "transactional" model of leadership, where relationship-building takes precedence in order to enrich the player-coach experience
Coach Vallée ties together her presentation with the four categories of success she found in her research to be common among the most accomplished coaches.
- The central building block of Vision, which includes smaller goals and directions
- Organizational skills, as related to program building and connecting to stakeholders, which is also linked to Vision
- Commitment to learning, as a coach, of not only techniques and tactics, but also leadership and how to balance being a tough vs. a caring coach
- Player empowerment, which builds life skills and fosters individual growth of players - important considerations for the generation of "millennials" playing the game today
For coaches trying to develop an elite program, Coach Vallée's insights into the key elements which define expert coaches will help you break away from being a coach of a team in the middle or back of the pack.
Produced at the Spring 2016 Pittsburgh (MS) clinic.
62 minutes. 2016.Basketball Videos